Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Breakin' Bacon (or A Rockwell Thanksgiving) ...

You can be sure that a Rockwell dinner (well, really, any meal for that matter) will include bacon.  My nephew Gatlin
and I are of the opinion that bacon is actually its own food group - resting above all other foods on the Canada Food Guide - a shiny halo of light surrounding a picture of a platter of bacon and a choir of angels singing in the background.  Yes, we realize there are other pork products but ... well, you can see where I'm going with this.
So, about a week ago he said to his UG (the Squeeze) that no one else but I was to be trusted with the Thanksgiving pies and if I could somehow make an apple and bacon pie his world would be a much better place; my task was set.  Behold, I bring you tidings of great bacon:
Not only did I make the apple and bacon pie, I also found a recipe for bacon cookies:
There were other pies:

And his Aunt Tracey even made Brussel Sprouts fried in bacon (although Gatlin thinks eating anything green could actually be the end of his life so he wouldn't eat them).
Jelly Bean
just thinks anything bacon is gross and without merit (she is a product of Babe).
Here's the family - and because she couldn't be there, a picture of Brigadoon (not her current age):
Silly people, I can't be in the picture if I'm the one taking it!
Here's a current picture of my lovely niece Briggie:


2 comments:

  1. Hm, don't get me wrong Gat and Terri, bacon is yummy. But I am not a fan of bacon-anything-else. In breakfast scones, okay, but I don't think bacon apple pie appeals to me. But Gat, I am glad your world got a little bit brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE this image and have featured it in an article for a new food website. Please get in touch with us for more details - editorial.homemade@gravityroad.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete